Liaise with and provide support to the SHM by sharing responsibility for the efficient day-to-day running of all aspects of the boarding house in consultation with the Pastoral Manager and the Deputy Principal.
Liaise with the school’s medical staff to ensure the correct care and welfare of the pupils. Basic first aid training is provided unless a qualification is already held.
The care of the individual pupil: sympathetic, caring, responsible and patient understanding of the age group.
The HM is an integral member of a team of house staff, supporting the SHM in creating a cohesive and harmonious team, leading that team in the SHM’s absence and assisting with a range of house duties or leading them in consultation with the SHM.
Duties and Presence
- Help to maintain a welcoming, tidy and homely atmosphere.
- Monitor behaviour and deal appropriately with any disciplinary issues.
- Uphold standards of dress, general appearance and personal hygiene.
- Ensure that there is an appropriate working atmosphere during prep.
- Maintain an orderly bedtime routine.
- Ensure the pupils are up in time for breakfast, registered and ready for the school day.
- Deal with emergencies of any kind, including escorting pupils to medical appointments where required.
- Assist with the completion of pastoral reports.
- Help to maintain pastoral records of pupils and other relevant administrative house tasks.
- Be ‘ever present’ and a visible presence by regularly moving about all areas of the house.
- Be available to the pupils in the house for both formal and informal contact, maintaining appropriate boundaries at all times.
- Sleep in the house on all duty nights. The HM has two weekdays off per week and may stay away overnight on days off, subject to adequate staffing.
- Cover additional duties as required such as the supervision of meals, prep, extra—curricular activities and special occasions, maintaining punctuality.
Regular contact and foster good relationships with parents, in consultation with the SHM, Pastoral Manager or Deputy Principal.
Health & Safety
Share responsibility for all aspects of safety as directly related to the boarding house, including assisting with the completion of annual risk assessments.
The undertaking of any reasonable additional duties at the request of the Deputy Principal or Principal.