Giving children a head start to a successful future - a unique experience for children with an interest in the Performing Arts
The Prep Department caters for pupils aged 8 - 11 years and is set within an inspiring, creative environment in a Rothschild mansion steeped in fascinating history. We offer an enriched, integrated curriculum with a unique balance between academic and vocational studies to suit the 'budding' performer plus:
- A friendly, encouraging environment enabling our pupils to flourish and perform to the best of their ability
- Building confidence to ensure progress in all areas of the curriculum
- Giving your child an opportunity to succeed academically, whilst training in vocational activities, for which they show a passion, during the hours of the school day.
- Specialist teaching in dance, drama and music
- Small classes set in a unique historic building
- Personalised learning tailored to meet your child's needs
Vocationally, the Prep Department offers a broad training in the Performing Arts giving pupils a foundation on which to build as they progress through the School. Emphasis is on establishing a good basic technique in all areas whilst encouraging a passion for the Performing Arts. Vocational classes include:
- Modern Dance
Pupils in the Prep Department have various performance opportunities throughout the year. They all take part in a a drama-based performance which takes place in March. Previous productions have included James and the Giant Peach, Charlotte's Web and Alice in Wonderland. In addition to this they are also included in the Junior Dance Show and Music Showcase in May and Founders' Day in July.
At the end of Prep Year 3 (Year 6) discussion will take place between staff and parents to establish which course pupils should pursue in the Junior School: Junior Dance Course or Theatre Arts Course.
The academic curriculum is broad, covering Key Stage 2 National Curriculum subjects. Most lessons are taught by the Prep Form teacher although specialist staff cover Art, French and Swimming lessons.